Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Review: American Assassin

American Assassin
Title: American Assassin #1
Author: Vince Flynn
Release: January 8, 2013
Rating:★ ★ .5
Pages: 448
Where to find it: Amazon | Bookdepository
Format: Paperback
Series: Yes
Summary: Vince Flynn’s stunning #1 New York Times bestseller introduces the young Mitch Rapp on his first assignment, a mission of vengeance that made him a CIA superagent. Two decades after the Cold War, Islamic terrorism is on the rise, and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield forms a new group of clandestine operatives—men who do not exist—to meet this burgeoning threat abroad, before it reaches America’s shores. Stansfield’s protégé, Irene Kennedy, finds the ideal candidate in the wake of the Pan Am Lockerbie terrorist attack. Among the thousands grieving the victims is Mitch Rapp, a gifted college athlete, who wants only one thing: retribution. Six months of intense training prepare him to devastate the enemy with brutal efficiency, leaving a trail of bodies from Istanbul and across Europe, to Beirut. But there, the American assassin will need every ounce of skill and cunning to survive the war-ravaged city and its deadly terrorist factions. (goodreads)

Thoughts:
I own a physical copy of this book but decided to listen to the audiobook. I felt it would go a lot faster if I would have read it and it was true. I would have taken longer to read it. I felt that the beginning of the book was interesting. I was pulled into the story line. I was interested to see where the story lead to and how the character would develop. But as I got halfway through the book I started dozing off and the characters felt flat.
I was more entertained with the training at the beginning of the story than with the actual mission. I felt it rush and felt them fall flat. The story started to wonder off from the storyline. I would have liked that the whole book would just focus on Mitch point of view or if anything it would only focus on him and another person only. Not more than two. Didn't really like how it jump from person to person. It didn't felt like a steady storyline. I have read other books with multiple characters point of views and liked them. But I felt this one wasn't executed correctly.
Mitch character was an interesting characters, but I did feel him a little flat. He felt too convenient. I also felt that the book started with a mood and later changed the type of book it was. It was very hard to focus on the storyline. I did like the action scenes. But I just don't think this is my type of series. I felt it rush and sloppy.
I don't think I will be continuing the series. If anything I will pick up the second book to see if it's the same pace but other than that I wasn't really pulled into the story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment